Thursday, January 01, 2009

Year in Review in Twelve Sentences

It didn't take long for the first meme of the New Year to get started. This is a fun one though, and it doesn't require any tagging of other bloggers! It's one I wish I'd thought of. Could have saved me some time yesterday...

The honors for "first meme of 2009" go to John Newmark at TransylvanianDutch with his Year in Review in Twelve Sentences. Thanks John ;-) He says, "For those who like memes, here's a fun one to consider. Now is a time for looking back on the past year. Here's a way to quickly create a brief summary of the past year on your blog. Take the first sentence from the first post of each month. You will end up with only twelve sentences. Post those twelve sentences."

Even though I've already posted my review of kinexxions for the past year, I'd like to play along with John on this. (With the addition of including a link to each post...)

First Sentence from the first post of each month.
  • Letter to Malissa Joslin Brubaker from her father, Lysander Price Joslin.
  • If you could have dinner with four of your ancestors who would they be and why?
  • The helpfullness of genealogists and family researchers amazes me sometimes, especially when it is truly a "random act" of kindness.
  • Dianne Haddad has the current edition of Family Tree Magazine available at Genealogy Insider. Note that it is only available for one day (today)…
  • The recent post Recluse dies in motel leaving $263,000 in cash in room at Genealogy Miscellanea reminded me of a distant relative who died with a fairly large estate in the early 1900s.
  • Sorting, scanning and trashing are coming along nicely ;-)
  • One of the most interesting men that I never met, and who just happens to be related to me (first cousin three times removed!), is Robert Quillen.
  • The Genea-Bloggers are having a picnic hosted by Bill West over at West in New England.
  • In May of 1986 my mother and I went on a research trip to Ohio and Pennsylvania.
  • The Great Forest Park Balloon Race.
  • What's still there, you ask?
  • The topic for the December 1st Carnival of Genealogy is "Traditions - the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth or by practice."
Links to those posts.

No comments: