Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday's Child :: The Nursery Rhyme

There is an old nursery rhyme that supposedly predicts the personality of an individual based on the day they were born. Wikipedia has several versions and a search of the web found numerous other variations, but I think this one is probably the most common version, in today's language.
Monday's child is fair of face.
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe.
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving.
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is fair and wise, good and gay.
The day of my birth was a Tuesday. I must have been born on the wrong day! When I think of a graceful person I see someone with style, beauty, poise, charm, and elegance. I think of my Aunt Fern, who was the epitome of style. I think of Grace Kelly. But I've never thought of myself as "full of grace" as it just isn't in my nature. No sense of style. Not beautiful. Little poise. Maybe some charm. Definitely not elegant!

I am really a Thursday's child. Always wanting to go places. To be somewhere that I wasn't. I'm afraid that the wanderlust gene is surfacing once again. I'm not sure where it will take me this time but I am certain that I'll be "going places" before this next year is through. I'd go sooner but there are some "things" and family matters that need to be taken care of first...

1 comment:

Thomas MacEntee said...

You are in good company - I too am a Tuesday child and have always felt graceless.

Here is a night widget to determine upon what day of the week you were born.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/games/dayofweek.html

Thomas